19 August 2009

Nickelback: Dark Horse - Produced by Robert John "Mutt" Lange





I'm one that has had difficulty being impressed with modern rock bands. Usually I find them to sound like a grunge hold-over, or they try to prove they can make more noise than the old thrash metal bands of the 70's and 80's, and in the process give a whole new meaning to the word grating.

From the time Nickelback started releasing songs to radio, I liked what I heard, but their style was just outside my purchasing preference. Therefore, interest in actually listening to the CD's they released were never gained, until...

As a person that follows producers and songwriters because I can be pretty sure I will like what they work on, I was quite intrigued when I saw the name of Robert John "Mutt" Lange attached to the latest Nickelback release. As producer to most of my favorite records over the last thirty years, I have found myself purchasing an album without ever hearing a note just because Mutt produced it. I have never been let down.

Having gone back to listen to all previous Nickelback (official site) albums I still believe their early albums, while well executed, are just outside my listening preference. I did notice though that they were willing to change a bit with each succeeding album. With Dark Horse, these guys take a giant leap forward. The collaboration of Nickelback and Mutt works in ways unheard of in years. (The actual producing credits for Dark Horse read as "Produced by Mutt Lange, Nickelback & Joey Moi.")

The word for this album is big; big drums; big guitars; big bass; big everything. It's such a foot stompin' good time, with full tilt party anthems, that they seem to be giving Sammy Hagar a run for the money. And it's loaded with enough blatant sexual innuendo that ZZ Top would be proud. The focus on the arrangements are so tight, Dark Horse leaves no doubt that Nickelback are not only close to taking over the mantle of best working rock band, they seem to be trying to stretch themselves into new territory. It's the type of thing most bands are afraid of, but Nickelback pulls it off without sounding like they've tread into a place they can't handle.

If you're a fan of good hard rock, I wholeheartedly recommend this album. Once Dark Horse is in the car CD player, you won't be able to turn the volume down.

No comments:

Post a Comment